You must have seen animals, especially dog or cats, wearing a plastic cone shape medical device around their neck. That device has got many names like Pet Cone, E-collar, Elizabethan Collar and Cone of Shame. Pet Cone is developed to help wounded animals recover fast. But there are many things you should know about this protective device. Let’s explore.
When Pets Need Cone or E-collar or Cone of Shame or Elizabethan Collar?
There can be various medical reasons for which your pet, especially dog, might be advised to wear Pet Cone or E-collar.
1. General Injury: Most dogs and cats get them injured easily, for example they try to eat stone or broken glass, other dog & cat bites, hit by road side vehicles resulting in ligament rupture, broken nail, etc. In such situations it is necessary to prevent animal from licking, biting and scratching their wounds otherwise wounds will get aggravate. Pet Cone or E-collar is very useful in these situations.
2. Surgeries: If your pet has undergone a surgery which required stitches then you need to ensure your pet doesn’t remove those stitches. For that Pet Cone or Elizabethan Collar emerges as the best solution.
3. Ointment : For various reasons including general health of your pet you are required to apply ointment to your pet skin but they easily ingest it. Here you need to use E-collar or Cone of Shame after each application of ointment.
4. Infection: Pet Cone or Elizabethan Collars are very useful if your pet is infected by virus or fungus. If you pet touches affected area and then other part of the body infection can spread there but E-collar prevents your pet to touch such areas and thus helps him in recovery.
Your pet may look funny with Pet Cone but if a vet has advised one, follow it strictly. It helps in healing.
Which Pet Cone or E-collar Are Right for Your Pet?
There are few verities of pet cone available in market. Understand the difference and based on your purpose choose the right e-collar for your pet.
Plastic Pet Cone: Plastic collars or plastic cones are made of low-density polyethylene which works as semitransparent yet firm wall so pets cannot reach the infected area, especially on face. Plastic e-collars can be easily fixed on pet’s neck. There are many varieties available for adjustment of grip with button or hook & look fasteners.
Soft Fabric Pet Collar: As soft fabric is used, they are more comfortable then plastic collar. Ideal for pets having skin problem or having sensitive skin as soft fabric renders an irritation free experience. Also, good for less active dogs and cats. Though soft fabric e-collars are more comfortable, they imped vision. So, should not be used for a nervous dogs or cats.
Inflatable E-Collar: If you pet is having upper body injury then inflatable e-collar can be a good choice. As they are made with synthetic plastic that is suitable for inflating it results in increased mobility for your pet. The good part of inflatable pet cone is they don’t restrict vision at all. They can be deflated and stored easily.
Cervical Pet Cone: If your pet has got grave body injuries or neck injuries and the pet is advised prevention of neck from moving or turning then only think of Cervical Pet Cone. Normally Cervical Pet E-collar is fastened by the experienced veterinarian and pet parents must follow the instructions for adjustment.
Surgical Recovery Suit: As the name suggests, mostly used post surgeries in dogs and cats or if they don’t allow you to put some kind of collar around their neck. Further, if dog or cat has got wounds on their body covering that body part with surgical recovery suit can prevent them from licking wounds, bandages, hot spots, skin conditions and thus speedup the healing process.
Spherical Collar or Ball Collar: Spherical Collar is used especially for birds. As the name suggest they come in spherical shape and cover the body of birds rather than acting as a barrier wall. Medical grade polycarbonate plastic is used in manufacturing of this product and birds wearing such ball collar are often unable to fly during the treatment time.
Help Your Pets to Adjust with Pet Cone or Pet E-collar
All pets cannot take change the same way. For some it’s easy whereas for others it’s really difficult to get adjust to Pet Cone. Introduce your dog or cat to an e-collar or pet cone easily.
1. Most dogs are curious about new articles coming in their surroundings. So just hold the cone or place on a surface your pet is expected to go. If your pet looks at it, sniffs it or touches it reward the pet with treats. This way you should be able to remove stress from pet about a foreign object.
2. Now hold the e-collar in one hand with narrow opening facing the pet and hold treats in another hand. Now inspire your pet to take treats from your hand by getting through the Elizabethan Collar. If he acts as expected appreciate, if he doesn’t give instructions so pet can put his nose through the narrow part of cone. Your pet will require practice so he can put the head easily in such cone.
3. Again it’s time for appreciation. You must acknowledge the pet when he keeps his head inside the Cone of Shame for a little while. Gradually train him for longer duration of e-collar.
4. Now your pet is familiar to a neck collar but you need to help him for easy navigation. So, walk the pet is wearing a cone, stay around him. Give instructions to keep his head up while walking so the cone doesn’t touch the surface. Also ensure he pass through the door multiple times with cone. So, it will be easier for him to do these movements.
This way you can remove the scare of foreign object from your pet. They will start seeing e-collar as another useful or positive article in their surroundings.
Don’t Do These When Your Pet is with E-collar
Most pets get accustomed to e-collar if they wear it continuously for a day. But still you need to take care of following points.
- Don’t leave your pet unattended for first few hours when he is first time introduced to an e-collar. He may need your help in navigation for reaching to water and food.
- Don’t remove collar just because you think your pet is feeling uncomfortable or demonstrates his displeasure of wearing the same. You have to remember, this will help in healing process.
- If you are required to remove cone for meal, ensure you fasten the same immediately. Don’t give any relaxations in this.
- Don’t be harsh with your pet on the subject of e-collar but at the same time don’t be too merciful also!
If you follow instructions given in this article, we are sure you will be able create a pleasant experience for pet with regards to cone or e-collar.
If you have any suggestions do share them in comments and remember to share this article with pet lovers.
Submit your pet story here CLICK HERE TO START